Stone County, Missouri Genealogy
Stone County; PO Box 45; Galena, MO 65656; Ph. 417.357.6127 Details: (Co Clk has m & land rec from 1851, pro & ct rec from 1800’s & mil dis rec from 1918)
- 1 History
- 2 Places/Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
See an interactive map of Stone County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Stone County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Sone County Historical Society put together a wonderful book called "History of Stone County Missouri" published in 1989. There are 3 volumes. The Family History Library has a copy of the first one. The call number is 977.8794H2h. Volume 2 has been sent to preservation and Vol 3 is currently being digitized. Vol 1 has a section on cemeteries, where to find them and a little about them. Also churches, newspapers, stories and legends, and a large section with almost 400 family histories
- Map of Stone County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Stone County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).