Stillington, Durham Genealogy
STILLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Red Marshall, union of Sedgefield, S. W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 8 miles (N. W. by W.) from Stockton.
Stillington St. John the Divine was created in 1872 from the parishes of Grindon St. James the Greater; Redmarshall St. Cuthbert .
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
The Parish Registers for the period 1872-1979 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Sti).
FamilySearch Historical Records includes England, Durham Diocese, Marriage Bonds and Allegations (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Non Conformist Churches
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Durham Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 205-207. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51303#s9
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.