Stearns County, Minnesota Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- 1855--Stearns County was created 20 February 1855 from Cass, Nicollet, Pierce (Eliminated 20 Feb 1862), and Sibley Counties.
- County seat: St. Cloud 
- For a brief history of Stearns County's name, click here, then select Stearns County.
Cities: Avon | Sartell | Spring Hill | St. Cloud | St. Joseph
- William Bell Mitchell, History of Stearns County, Minnesota. Chicago : H.C. Cooper, Jr., 1915
- Newton Horace Winchell, History of the Upper Mississippi Valley. Minneapolis: Minnesota Historical Co., 1881
Civil War service men from Stearns County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Stearns County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies D and E.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company I.
- - 4th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies D and G.
- - 7th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company I.
Societies and Libraries
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- St Cloud Minnesota Family History Center
- Stearns History Museum Archives
Family History Centers
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).