Difference between revisions of "Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri Genealogy"
(Added land intro)
(Added intro to Local Histories)
|Line 68:||Line 68:|
==== Local Histories
==== Local Histories ====
==== Maps ====
==== Maps ====
Revision as of 22:23, 7 June 2013
Guide to Ste. Genevieve County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||October 1, 1812|
|County Seat||Ste. Genvieve|
|Address|| Ste. Genevieve County Courthouse|
55 S 3rd Street
Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670
Ste. Genevieve County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Museums
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth and death records 1883-1892
Circuit Clerk Recorder has marriage, divorce, court and
land records, Circuit Court Judge has probate records
Ste. Genevieve County predates the state of Missouri which was admitted to the union in 1821. Ste. Genevieve was one of the five original districts of the Louisiana Territory from 1805-1812 and one of the five original counties of the Missouri Territory from 1812 to 1821.
1812--Ste. Genevieve County was created 1 October 1812 as an original county.
County seat: Ste. Genevieve. 
- See an interactive map of Ste. Genevieve County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
Archives and Libraries
For tips on accessing Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map of Ste. Genevieve County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Ste. Genevieve County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
- "Saint Genevieve County, Missouri Records" - 190 pages - 9842 names - soft cover - full name index - 8.5X11 inches - reprinted 2012. Gives a brief history of the county, Baptismal Records 1759-1811 giving the child's name and their parent. Marriage Book A(1807-1827 and 1842-1866. Abstract of Wills and Administration 1807-1855. Registry of Wolf Scalps 1847-1895. Death Registry 1883-1892. The dates of the baptismal records in this book are some of the earlist in the Colonial times in America. Might be a local library but you can buy it at mountain-press.com/
- 1883 - Ste. Genevieve County Birth Index 1883. Batches C583914 and C583912 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1891 - Ste. Genevieve County Birth Index 1891. Batch C583913 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1806-1896 - Ste. Genevieve County Marriage Index 1806-1896. Batch M515771 at FamilySearch - free.
- Brian Oster Missouri Marriage Records Site
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883 - Ste. Genevieve County Death Index 1883. Batch B514598 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885 - Ste. Genevieve County Death Index 1885. Batch B514597 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Museums
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri. Page 406 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f4/Igimissourir.pdf.