Stanwell, Middlesex Genealogy
'STANWELL St. Mary, a parish, in the union of Staines, hundred of Spelthorne, County of Middlesex, 2¾ miles northeast by north of Staines; it comprises also a part of Colnbrook chapelry. There is a place of worship for Independents.'
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Samuel Lewis, ed. A Topographical Dictionary of England 186-192. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online here, (accessed: 05 May 2010).
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Mary the Virgin, Stanwell in Richmond upon Thames Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Stanwell St Mary the Virgin in Richmond upon Thames Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Stanwell St Mary the Virgin in Richmond Upon Thames Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Stanwell St Mary the Virgin in Richmond upon Thames Borough. Partially indexed.
- 'West Middlesex Marriage Index Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 8 March 2012.
- 'Middlesex Parish Record Transcripts,' The Genealogist, accessed 10 March 2012.