Stanway, Essex Genealogy
Stanway, is a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Lexden district, Essex. The village stands 1 mile E of Marks-Tey railway station, and 4 miles W by S of Colchester; and has a post-office under Colchester.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Online images are available Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office St Albright See also All Saints
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
The two churches of All Saints' and St. Albright's appear to have had their own officers in the earlier 16th century. In the 17th century and later there were usually two churchwardens, although only one attended visitations in 1684 and 1707. There are no records of vestry government.
A newly-built cottage on the heath was con- veyed to trustees as pauper housing in 1703. There was a workhouse, perhaps in the former poorhouse, by 1769; in 1817 it was at Beacon End, probably in Millers Lane, called Work- house Lane in 1897. It was sold in 1837. (fn. 80)
Expenditure on poor relief between 1776 and 1815 was one of the highest per head of population in the hundred. Actual expenditure rose from c. £237 in 1776 to an average of c. £254 between 1783 and 1785. It reached a peak of c. £908 or £2 3s. per head of population in 1801, fell to c. £419 or c. £1 a head in 1804, then rose fairly steadily to c. £653 or c. £1 10s. a head in 1812. Between 1812 and 1813 expenditure almost doubled to £1,215 or £2 16s. a head, the largest proportional increase in the hundred. Expenditure fell again to c. £708 in 1814 or £1 12s. 10d. per head of population. From then until 1834 expenditure was usually between £600 and £700 a year, except in the years 1817 to 1819 when it was over £900 or nearly £2 a head, again among the highest payments in the hundred.
The wheel-shaped Lexden and Winstree Poor Law Union workhouse was built in 1836 and 1837 in London Road near the boundary with Lexden. The building was slightly altered in the 1930s, when it was Stanway public assistance institution.
From: 'Stanway: Local government', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. 270. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15276&strquery=stanway Date accessed: 14 February 2011.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- 1. Wilson, John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, publ. London & Edinburgh: 1870 See at: http//www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/index.jsp
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.