Staines, Middlesex Genealogy
'STAINES (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Spelthorne, county of Middlesex, 10 miles west by southwest of Brentford, and 17 miles west by southwest of London. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, and Independents. The poor-law union of Staines comprises thirteen parishes or places.'
The Victoria County History of Staines (1962) is available online. It includes a history of land ownership, manors, estates, markets and fairs, mills, economic and social history, local government, churches, Roman Catholicism, Protestant nonconformity, other denominations, schools, and charities.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Crisp, Frederick Arthur. The Parish Registers of Staines, Middlesex. 1644-1694. n.p.: F.A. Crisp, 1886. Digital version at Google Books.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Census and Inhabitants Lists
1666 Hearth Tax
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Samuel Lewis, ed. A Topographical Dictionary of England 170-175. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online here, (accessed: 05 May 2010).
- A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 13-33. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=85 Date accessed: 27 March 2012.
- Batch P013281, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (N-Z), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 10 March 2012. Indexes parish register xx.
- 'West Middlesex Marriage Index Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 8 March 2012.
- 'About Middlesex Baptisms Index 1538-1751,' British Origins, accessed 16 March 2012.
- 'Webb's London Marriages - Marriages, periods and parishes/churches,' British Origins, accessed 12 March 2012.