St Peter Cornhill, London Genealogy
"St Peter Cornhill, the church of, is situated near the southeast corner of COrnhill, and is of very ancient foundation,...in 1208... The old church was destroyed by the fire of London, and the present substantial edifice erected in its stead by Sir Christopher Wren. This church is a rectory, the patronage of which was anciently in the family of the Nevils...After passing through several hands, it was conveyed in 1411 by Richard Whittington, and others, to the Lord Mayor and Commonalty of the city of London, in whom the advowson still continues. It is in the city, diocese and archdeaconry of London..."
Available at TheGenealogist:
- St Peter Cornhill, London (Baptisms) 1538-1670
- St Peter Cornhill, London (Burials) 1539-1673
- St Peter Cornhill, London (Marriages) 1538-1666
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Bishopsgate Ward - The Parisshe of Saynt Peter, courtesy: British History Online
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Cornhill Ward, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll - St Peters in Cornehill Parishe, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Cornhill Ward - St Peters Paroche in Cornehill, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Cornhill Ward - St Peters Paroche, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Lime Street Ward - St Peters and St Andrewes Paroches, courtesy: British History Online
1638 Inhabitants List
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Before 1858, St Peter Cornhill, London Genealogy fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Archdeaconry of London. In practice, many residents left their wills in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury from the 1700s through 1858. From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Transcripts of early St Peter Cornhill, London Genealogy tombs found in the interior of the church were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Peter Cornhill')
- James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.
- "About Archdeaconry Court of London Wills Index 1750-1800", British Origins, accessed 23 December 2011.
- Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- Percy C. Rushden, The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (London: Phillimore and Co., Ltd., 1910). Digitised by Internet Archive.