St Pancras, Middlesex Genealogy
"St Pancras (which was once called St Pancras in the Fields), the old church of, is situated on the North Side of the road leading from Kings Cross, Battle-bridge, to Kentish town. The parish is of great extent, including one third of the hamlet of Highgate, and the whole of the hamlets of Kentish town, Camden town, Somers town and Pentonville. It extends to the South end of Gray's Inn Lane, and includes the streets westward of it to Cleveland Street and Rathbone Place. The new church of this parish is a very handsome elaborate structure, on the south side of the new road... This parish is a vicarage in the County of Middlesex, in the diocese of London, a peculiar of the archbishopric of Canterbury, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's [Cathedral]. There are also two parish chapels, which are both curacies in the patronage of the vicar, one called the parish Chapel and...[sic]"
"PANCRAS, ST., a parish, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, a suburb to London.
"The cavalry barracks in Albany-road are neatly built of brick, and occupy an area of eight acres and a half; the buildings comprise accommodation for 400 men, with stabling for their horses, a riding-school, infirmary, magazine, and an extensive ground for exercise.
Whilst the 19th century topographer, Samuel Lewis lists several chapels attached to St Pancras Parish, to view a much more complete list of churches and chapels as has thus far been identified for this the largest populated parish and borough in the country, see the above link to "A Comprehensive List of Churches of St Pancras in Pre-1900".
Here is Lewis' assessment of those extant chapels as of 1848:
- The old parochial church [St Pancras], now used as a chapel,
- St Pancras Euston-Square (the current parish church)
- All saints Regent-square - 1824
- Christ Church Regent's Park - 1837
- [Holy] Trinity [C]hurch, Gray's-Inn-road - 1838 (part of London St. Andrew's, Holborn)
- All Saints', Gordon-square - 1842
- St John the Evangelist Charlotte Street Fitzroy-square - 1846
- St Jude Britannia-street, Gray's-Inn-road - 1847
- Fitzroy (proprietary Episcopal) Chapel Gray's Inn Road -
- Percy chapel, Charlotte-street
- Woburn chapel-
- St Luke King's-cross
- St Matthew Oakley-square, Bedford-Town
- Camden Town
- Kentish Town
- The Foundling Hospital Chapel - 1739 (abt 400 children)
- St Katherine's Hospital Chapel -
There were places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Calvinistic and other Methodists, a Scottish church, and a Roman Catholic chapel.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.