Difference between revisions of "St Pancras, Middlesex Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 11: Line 11:
 
"PANCRAS, ST., a parish, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, a suburb to London.<br>"The cavalry barracks in Albany-road are neatly built of brick, and occupy an area of eight acres and a half; the buildings comprise accommodation for 400 men, with stabling for their horses, a riding-school, infirmary, magazine, and an extensive ground for exercise.  
 
"PANCRAS, ST., a parish, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, a suburb to London.<br>"The cavalry barracks in Albany-road are neatly built of brick, and occupy an area of eight acres and a half; the buildings comprise accommodation for 400 men, with stabling for their horses, a riding-school, infirmary, magazine, and an extensive ground for exercise.  
  
The old parochial church, now used as a chapel, has undergone so many alterations and repairs, that it retains few vestiges of its original character: it was enlarged in 1847-8. The churchyard has been long the burial-place of Roman Catholics.&nbsp;The new parochial church in Euston-square, a splendid structure begun in May 1819, and consecrated May 7th, 1822, was built and furnished at an expense of upwards of £76,600, and is after the model of the Temple of Erectheus at Athens, with a lofty tower of three receding stages, resembling the Temple of the Winds.
+
Whilst the 19th century topographer, Samuel Lewis lists several chapels attached to St Pancras Parish, to view as or more complete a list of churches and chapels as has been identified for this the largest populated parish and borough in the country, see the above link to "A Comprehensive List of the Churches of St Pancras in Pre-1900". Here is Lewis' assessment of those extant chapels as of 1848:
  
"A church was erected in Regent-square, by grant of the Parliamentary Commissioners, in 1824, at an expense of £16,025; it is a handsome edifice in the Grecian style, with a portico of the Ionic order, and an octagonal tower of two stages.&nbsp;ChristChurch, Regent's Park, consecrated June 13th, 1837, and containing 1800 sittings, was erected at a cost of about £6000, raised by subscription: the living is in the gift of the Bishop of London. [Holy] Trinity [C]hurch, Gray's-Inn-road...was consecrated December 13th, 1838: this church belongs to St. Andrew's, Holborn, but is surrounded on all sides by St. Pancras. All Saints', Gordon-square, was consecrated in 1842. The church of St. John the Evangelist, in Charlotte Street, Fitzroy-square, was consecrated in July 1846, and is a Norman edifice, with a tower and spire rising 120 feet from the ground. St. Jude's temporary church, in Britannia-street, Gray's-Inn-road, was opened October 1847. In the parish are, Fitzroy proprietary episcopal chapel, a neat building of brick; an episcopal chapel in Gray's-Inn-road, belonging to the Rev. Thos. Mortimer, B.D.; Percy chapel, Charlotte-street; and Woburn chapel. Two incumbencies have been just formed, called St. Luke's, King's-cross, and St. Matthew's, Oakley-square, Bedford-Town; and besides these, are, a chapel to the church of St. James', Piccadilly, with an extensive cemetery; a chapel and cemetery belonging to St. Giles'-in-the-Fields; and the burial-grounds of the parishes of St. Andrew Holborn, St. George Bloomsbury, St. George the Martyr, and St. Martin-in-the-Fields.
+
*The old parochial church [St Pancras], now used as a chapel,  
 +
*St Pancras Euston-Square (the current parish church)
 +
*All&nbsp;saints Regent-square -&nbsp;1824
 +
*Christ Church Regent's Park -&nbsp;1837
 +
*[Holy] Trinity [C]hurch, Gray's-Inn-road - 1838 (part of London St. Andrew's, Holborn)
 +
*All Saints', Gordon-square -&nbsp;1842
 +
*St John the Evangelist Charlotte Street Fitzroy-square -&nbsp;1846
 +
*St Jude&nbsp;Britannia-street, Gray's-Inn-road -&nbsp;1847
 +
*Fitzroy&nbsp;(proprietary Episcopal) Chapel&nbsp;Gray's Inn Road -
 +
*Percy chapel, Charlotte-street
 +
*Woburn chapel-
 +
*St Luke King's-cross
 +
*St Matthew Oakley-square, Bedford-Town
 +
*Somertown
 +
*Camden Town
 +
*Kentish Town
  
Other churches or chapels are noticed in the articles on Camden-Town, Kentish-Town, and Somers-Town. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Calvinistic and other Methodists, a Scottish church, and a Roman Catholic chapel: of these the Scottish church, in Regent-square, is in the later English style, with two lofty towers at the western entrance.
+
The Foundling Hospital Chapel - 1739 (abt 400 children)
  
"The Foundling Hospital, situated on the north side of Guildford-street, between Brunswick and Mecklenburgh squares, was founded by charter...in 1739, "for the maintenance and instruction of deserted infants"...&nbsp;There are generally about 400 children in the institution.... The premises consist of a spacious and elegant chapel.
+
St. Katherine's Hospital Chapel -&nbsp;  
  
St. Katherine's Hospital was originally founded by Matilda, wife of Stephen, in 1148, [with a]&nbsp;chapel...<ref>2. Samuel Lewis, ed. ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' 531-535. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51203| here], (accessed: 04 May 2010).</ref>"
+
There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Calvinistic and other Methodists, a Scottish church, and a Roman Catholic chapel.<ref>2. Samuel Lewis, ed. ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' 531-535. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51203| here], (accessed: 04 May 2010).</ref>
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 23:08, 13 February 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Middlesex Gotoarrow.png Middlesex Parishes Gotoarrow.png St Pancras

See "A Comprehensive List of St Pancras' Churches in Pre-1900"


Parish History

"St Pancras (which was once called St Pancras in the Fields), the old church of, is situated on the North Side of the road leading from Kings Cross, Battle-bridge, to Kentish town. The parish is of great extent, including one third of the hamlet of Highgate, and the whole of the hamlets of Kentish town, Camden town, Somers town and Pentonville. It extends to the South end of Gray's Inn Lane, and includes the streets westward of it to Cleveland Street and Rathbone Place. The new church of this parish is a very handsome elaborate structure, on the south side of the new road... This parish is a vicarage in the County of Middlesex, in the diocese of London, a peculiar of the archbishopric of Canterbury, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's [Cathedral]. There are also two parish chapels, which are both curacies in the patronage of the vicar, one called the parish Chapel and...[sic][1]"


"PANCRAS, ST., a parish, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, a suburb to London.
"The cavalry barracks in Albany-road are neatly built of brick, and occupy an area of eight acres and a half; the buildings comprise accommodation for 400 men, with stabling for their horses, a riding-school, infirmary, magazine, and an extensive ground for exercise.

Whilst the 19th century topographer, Samuel Lewis lists several chapels attached to St Pancras Parish, to view as or more complete a list of churches and chapels as has been identified for this the largest populated parish and borough in the country, see the above link to "A Comprehensive List of the Churches of St Pancras in Pre-1900". Here is Lewis' assessment of those extant chapels as of 1848:

  • The old parochial church [St Pancras], now used as a chapel,
  • St Pancras Euston-Square (the current parish church)
  • All saints Regent-square - 1824
  • Christ Church Regent's Park - 1837
  • [Holy] Trinity [C]hurch, Gray's-Inn-road - 1838 (part of London St. Andrew's, Holborn)
  • All Saints', Gordon-square - 1842
  • St John the Evangelist Charlotte Street Fitzroy-square - 1846
  • St Jude Britannia-street, Gray's-Inn-road - 1847
  • Fitzroy (proprietary Episcopal) Chapel Gray's Inn Road -
  • Percy chapel, Charlotte-street
  • Woburn chapel-
  • St Luke King's-cross
  • St Matthew Oakley-square, Bedford-Town
  • Somertown
  • Camden Town
  • Kentish Town

The Foundling Hospital Chapel - 1739 (abt 400 children)

St. Katherine's Hospital Chapel - 

There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Calvinistic and other Methodists, a Scottish church, and a Roman Catholic chapel.[2]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Census records

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Poor Law Unions

Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
  1. 1. James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect. In “A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions,” (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted.
  2. 2. Samuel Lewis, ed. A Topographical Dictionary of England 531-535. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online here, (accessed: 04 May 2010).