St Michael Bassishaw, London Genealogy
- 1 Parish History
- 2 Resources
- 3 Maps and Gazetteers
- 4 Web sites
- 5 References
"St Michael Bassishaw, the church of, stands on the western side of Basinghall Street, and derives its name from its dedication to St Michael the Archangel, and its addition from Basing's Haw or hall [See Basingahll Street)]. The ancient church was originally founded in the year 1140, and was then in the patronage of the prior and canons of St Bartholomew, in Smithfield. [From] about 1430, it fell to the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's in whose patronage it has continued...
"The old church, which was a beautiful specimen of the ecclesiastical architecture of our ancestors, was entirely destroyed by the fire of London, and the present building was erected in its stead, from the designs of Sir Christopher Wren. It is a plain and useful structure, of brick and stone, of no very striking character. The church is a rectory in the city, diocese and arhcdeaconry of London and in the patronage of the Deans and canons of St Paul's."
St. Michael Bassishaw Parish was part of Bassishaw Ward.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
BVRI: 1880-1892 (chr.)
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Bassishaw Ward - Parish of St. Michael Bassishaw, courtesy: British History Online
- London Subsidy Roll, c.1589 - St. Michaels Parishe, courtesy: Family History Archives (see pages 149-150)
- St Michael Bassishaw, Bassishaw Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/488); copy: FHL Film 2228702.
- St Michael Bassishaw, Bassishaw Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/548); copy: FHL Film 2228703.
1638 Inhabitants List
- St Michael Bassishaw, Bassishaw Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/566); copy: FHL Film 2228704.
1666 Hearth Tax
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Before 1858, St Michael Bassishaw, London Genealogy fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Archdeaconry of London. In practice, many residents left their wills in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury from the 1700s through 1858. From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
CemeteryCatalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Michael Bassishaw')
- James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.
- "About Archdeaconry Court of London Wills Index 1750-1800", British Origins, accessed 23 December 2011.
- Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.