St Mary Le Strand, Middlesex Genealogy
'St Mary-le-Strand, the church of, is situated in the middle of the Strand opposite the south end of Drury Lane, and nearly opposite Somerset House.
'The original church belonging to this parish is mentioned so early as 1222, when it was called St Mary, and the Innocents of the Strand. It then stood in a spacious church yard, on the south side of the Strand, where the eastern wing of Somerset House is now built; but was taken down, as is mentioned in the preceding article [see St Mary Staining], and that of St John the Baptist, in the Savoy, (see those articles,) by order of Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset, to make way for his palace, named after him, Somerset House. The parishioners used the chapel of St John aforesaid, till the act of parliament passed for erecting the fifty new churches, when the first stone of this building was laid on the 25th of Feb. 1714, and was finished and consecrated on the 1st Jan. 1723, when instead of its ancient name, it was called St Mary-le-Strand. This church was the first of the fifty new churches, and was erected from the designs of James Gibbs, architect, to the church of St Martin in the Fields.
'The church is a rectory, in the diocese of London, in the county and archdeaconry of London, in the county and archdeaconry of Middlesex, and in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor.'
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- 1605-1625 - Greenstreet, James. 'Marriages at St. Mary le Strand, London, from A.D. 1605,' The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, 1605-1609: Vol. 18, No. 1 (Jan. 1887):36-40; 1609-1614: Vol. 18, No. 2 (Apr. 1887):69-73; 1614-1619: Vol. 18, No. 3 (Jul. 1887):107-113; 1619-1625: Vol. 18, No. 4 (Oct. 1887):153-159. Digital versions at Internet Archive - free; New York Family History ($); FHL Book 974.7 B2n v. 18.
- 1606-1625 - Pruyn, John V.L. 'Weddings at St. Mary le Strand, London, from A.D. 1606 to 1625,' Genealogist, N.S. 4 (1887):34-41, 108-115; Vol. 5 (1888):108-116.
- 1650s - 'Commonwealth Civil Marriages at St. Mary le Strand, London,' Genealogist, N.S. 10 (1894):225-229.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- St Mary le Strand (official website). Tips for family historians, history, photographs, visitor directions.
- James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.
- 'Westminster parish records coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 27 March 2012. Indexed collection.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Mary le Strand in Westminster Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Westminster St Mary Le Strand in Westminster Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Westminster St Mary Le Strand in Westminster Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Westminster St Mary Le Strand in Westminster Borough. Partially indexed.
- Batch C042891, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (N-Z), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- Batches M042891-M042892, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (N-Z), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm