Difference between revisions of "St Martin Outwich, London Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 3: Line 3:
 
   
 
   
  
St Martin Outwich, the church of, is situated at the southeast corner of Threadneedle Street, in Bishopsgate Street. It obtained its name from being dedicated aforementioned St. Martin, and its edition from William and John the odds wake, who were anciently its proprietors and patrons. In 1325 John de Warren, Earl of Surrey, presented to this living, but dying without issue, it devolved to the crown, and came afterwards into the possession of the Merchant Taylors' [sic] Company, who have ever since enjoyed the ride of patronage. You'll church, which was built in 1540, was one of the few that escaped the ravages of the fire of London, but it became afterwards so dilapidated by age, and the large fire that consumed much of the adjacent property in 1765, that it was taken down in 1795, and the first stone of the present edifice was laid on the fourth of May 1796. It is a neat small church, erected from the designs of the late Mr. Cockerell, and has a fresco painting of the Ascension, by Rigaud column over the altar.  
+
St Martin Outwich, the church of, is situated at the southeast corner of Threadneedle Street, in Bishopsgate Street. It obtained its name from being dedicated aforementioned St. Martin, and its edition from William and John the odds wake, who were anciently its proprietors and patrons. In 1325 John de Warren, Earl of Surrey, presented to this living, but dying without issue, it devolved to the crown, and came afterwards into the possession of the Merchant Taylors' [sic] Company, who have ever since enjoyed the ride of patronage. You'll church, which was built in 1540, was one of the few that escaped the ravages of the fire of London, but it became afterwards so dilapidated by age, and the large fire that consumed much of the adjacent property in 1765, that it was taken down in 1795, and the first stone of the present edifice was laid on the fourth of May 1796. It is a neat small church, erected from the designs of the late Mr. Cockerell, and has a fresco painting of The Ascension, by Rigaud, over the altar.  
  
<br>The church's directory, in the city, diocese and archdeaconry of London, and in the patronage of the merchant Taylors' Company.  
+
<br>The church is a rectory, in the city, diocese and archdeaconry of London, and in the patronage of the Merchant Taylors' Company.  
  
 
Adapted from: "Topographical Dictionary of London" by James Elmes; published 1831]  
 
Adapted from: "Topographical Dictionary of London" by James Elmes; published 1831]  
  
 
<br>
 
<br>

Revision as of 22:23, 4 March 2010

Return to the London Parishes St I-S page.

 

St Martin Outwich, the church of, is situated at the southeast corner of Threadneedle Street, in Bishopsgate Street. It obtained its name from being dedicated aforementioned St. Martin, and its edition from William and John the odds wake, who were anciently its proprietors and patrons. In 1325 John de Warren, Earl of Surrey, presented to this living, but dying without issue, it devolved to the crown, and came afterwards into the possession of the Merchant Taylors' [sic] Company, who have ever since enjoyed the ride of patronage. You'll church, which was built in 1540, was one of the few that escaped the ravages of the fire of London, but it became afterwards so dilapidated by age, and the large fire that consumed much of the adjacent property in 1765, that it was taken down in 1795, and the first stone of the present edifice was laid on the fourth of May 1796. It is a neat small church, erected from the designs of the late Mr. Cockerell, and has a fresco painting of The Ascension, by Rigaud, over the altar.


The church is a rectory, in the city, diocese and archdeaconry of London, and in the patronage of the Merchant Taylors' Company.

Adapted from: "Topographical Dictionary of London" by James Elmes; published 1831]