St Margaret Lothbury with St Christopher le Stocks and St Bartholomew by the Exchange, London Genealogy
- 1 Church records
- 2 Census records
- 3 Civil Registration
- 4 Probate records
- 5 Cemetery
- 6 Records of the Poor
- 7 Parish History
- 8 Maps and Gazetteers
- 9 Web sites
- 10 References
St Bartholomew by the Exchange Parish
- Freshfield, Edwin. The Vestry Minute Books of the Parish of St. Bartholomew Exchange in the City of London: 1567-1676. 1890. Digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- The Account Books of the Parish of St. Bartholomew Exchange in the City of London 1596-1698. 1895. Digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
St Christopher le Stocks Parish
|Indexes||1557-1781||FamilySearch||1558-1780||GoogleBooksEdwin Freshfield, The Register Book of the Parish of St. Christopher le Stocks in the City of London (London: Rixon and Arnold, 1882). 3 vols.</ref>||1559-1780||findmypast|
St Margaret Lothbury Parish
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
1638 Inhabitants List
1692-1932 Land Taxes
1695 Inhabitants Lists
The 1821 Census of St Margaret Lothbury exists.
The 1831 Censuses of St Christopher le Stocks and St Margaret Lothbury exist.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Will indexes for probate courts covering these parishes are available online.
Before 1858, St Christopher le Stocks fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London. St Bartholomew by the Exchange and St Margaret Lothbury fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Archdeaconry of London. In practice, many residents of St Bartholomew and St Margaret left their wills in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury from the 1700s through 1858. From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Transcripts of early St Margaret Lothbury with St Christopher le Stocks and St Bartholomew by the Exchange, London Genealogy tombs found in the interior of the churches were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Records of the Poor
During the seventeenth century, officials gave some foundlings discovered in St Bartholomew by the Exchange Parish the unique surname Exchange.
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
"St Margaret Lothbury with St Christopher le Stocks and St Bartholomew by the Exchange, the church of, is situated on the north side of Lothbury, opposite the south front of the Bank of England. It derives its name from being dedicated to St. Margaret, a... saint of Antioch, who in the reign of the Emperor Decius is efficient from a situation, and to distinguish it from the other churches of the same city. The ancient church, which was built in 1440 being destroyed at the great fire of 1666, the present stone edifice was elected Mr. Christopher Wren, and finished in 1690. It stands upon the ancient course of Walbrook, and is a plain substantial building. The interior is also the current in order with columns, clusters and in temperatures of excellent proportions. It is 66 feet in length, 44 in breadth and 36 in height, well lighted by a row of lofty windows. The church is a rectory, the foundation of which is of a of great antiquity, as appears from Jon Haslam Field was presented to it by the Abbess and convent of Barking, in Essex,... in 1303. The patronage continued in that convent till the time of the reformation, when being dissolved, it fell to teh crown, who gave it up to the Bishop of London...
"At the time when the church of St Christopher-le-Stocks was pulled down to make way for the west end of the Bank of England, by Princes Street, that parish was united to it by act of Parliament. The advowson is a rectory in the city, diocese and archdeaconry of London, and in the patronage of the Bishop of that see."
These parishes belonged to Broad Street Ward.
St Bartholomew by the Exchange is also known as St Bartholomew by Royal Exchange.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Web sites(The London Family History Centre Catalogue is a terrific resource for identifying FamilySearch's London collections).