St Helens, Lancashire Genealogy
ST HELEN'S, a chapelry and market-town, in the parish and union of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 11 miles east by northeast of Liverpool; comprising part of the township of Eccleston, and the entire townships of Parr, Sutton, and Windle.
This town, originally a small village, is now a thriving place, situated on an extensive coal-field. The church, originally dedicated to St Helen, on being enlarged in 1816, was dedicated anew to St Mary; another chapel, called St Thomas's church (Eccleston), was erected in about 1839.
There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans, and a Roman Catholic chapel.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 466-470.&amp;nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 21 July 2010.