Difference between revisions of "St George the Martyr, Middlesex Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Standard)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]]&nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Middlesex]] [[England]]&nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Middlesex Parishes]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; St George the Martyr <br><br>[[Image:Stgeorgesqueensquare.jpg|thumb|right|200px]]  
+
''[[England]]&nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Middlesex]] [[England]]&nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Middlesex Parishes]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[St George the Martyr, Middlesex|St George the Martyr]]'' <br><br>[[Image:Stgeorgesqueensquare.jpg|thumb|right|200px]]  
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
  
St George the Martyr, [lies in the parish of St&nbsp;Andrew Holborn],&nbsp;the church of, is situated in Queen Square, Bloomsbury, at the southwest corner, or the north end of Gloucester Street, going from Theobald's Road. This church was originally built in 1705, by Sir Streynsham Master, Governor of Fort St. George, in the East Indies, and some other wealthy inhabitants of its neigbourhood. It was afterwards purchased by the commissioners for building fifty new churches, and a district apportioned to it as a parish. It was consecrated as a parish church in 1723, and dedicated to St George in allusion to the governorship of its principal founder. It was a plain brick, of a most conventicle like appearance, till it was repaired, and its present two elegant fronts and bell tower, added about seven years ago [about 1824]... It is a rectory in the county and archdeaconry of Middlesex, in the diocese of London and in the patronage of the Duke of Buccleugh.<ref>James Elmes, ''A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs'' (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by [http://books.google.com/books?id=tjEQAAAAYAAJ Google Books].</ref>
+
'St George the Martyr, [lies in the parish of St&nbsp;Andrew Holborn],&nbsp;the church of, is situated in Queen Square, Bloomsbury, at the southwest corner, or the north end of Gloucester Street, going from Theobald's Road. This church was originally built in 1705, by Sir Streynsham Master, Governor of Fort St. George, in the East Indies, and some other wealthy inhabitants of its neigbourhood. It was afterwards purchased by the commissioners for building fifty new churches, and a district apportioned to it as a parish. It was consecrated as a parish church in 1723, and dedicated to St George in allusion to the governorship of its principal founder. It was a plain brick, of a most conventicle like appearance, till it was repaired, and its present two elegant fronts and bell tower, added about seven years ago [about 1824]... It is a rectory in the county and archdeaconry of Middlesex, in the diocese of London and in the patronage of the Duke of Buccleugh.'<ref>James Elmes, ''A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs'' (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by [http://books.google.com/books?id=tjEQAAAAYAAJ Google Books].</ref>  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 31: Line 31:
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  

Revision as of 06:06, 28 February 2012

England  Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex England  Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Parishes Gotoarrow.png  St George the Martyr

Stgeorgesqueensquare.jpg

Parish History

'St George the Martyr, [lies in the parish of St Andrew Holborn], the church of, is situated in Queen Square, Bloomsbury, at the southwest corner, or the north end of Gloucester Street, going from Theobald's Road. This church was originally built in 1705, by Sir Streynsham Master, Governor of Fort St. George, in the East Indies, and some other wealthy inhabitants of its neigbourhood. It was afterwards purchased by the commissioners for building fifty new churches, and a district apportioned to it as a parish. It was consecrated as a parish church in 1723, and dedicated to St George in allusion to the governorship of its principal founder. It was a plain brick, of a most conventicle like appearance, till it was repaired, and its present two elegant fronts and bell tower, added about seven years ago [about 1824]... It is a rectory in the county and archdeaconry of Middlesex, in the diocese of London and in the patronage of the Duke of Buccleugh.'[1]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Census records

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Poor Law Unions

Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

Reference


  1. James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.