St George Utah FamilySearch Center
Schedule photo and 35mm slide scanning times -click Photo Scanner Reservation option on Menu
|St George Utah FamilySearch Center|
|237 East 600 South|
St. George, Utah 84770
|Monday 9:00 am to 5:00* pm|
*Discovery Center till 8:00 pm
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 9:00 am to 9:00 pm
Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Saturday 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
NEW Monday Evening Family Activity Hour
Family History - Family Activities
Activities every hour from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm
LEARN and USE one or more of the following:
Family Tree APP
Family Tree Memories APP
FamilySearch Fan Chart
These classes will be repeated each Monday in November and December, no reservation needed.
The following services are available at the center:
Discovery Center Experience
Use the large interactive display screens to discover more about yourself as you visualize your family tree in unique ways.
- ALL ABOUT ME - What's so special about my birth year? Discover what was happening in the world the day you were born.
- WHERE I COME FROM - How in the world did I get here? View the geographical origins of your ancestors.
- PICTURE MY STORY - How would I look in my ancestor's clothing? Superimpose a picture of you onto the cultural clothes of your ancestors.
- RECORD MY STORY - What are my favorite memories? Capture your memories in this state-of-the-art story studio. Group and individual booths are available.
- Preparation for Visitors. To experience the Discovery Center, you will need a free FamilySearch account and at least a four-generation Family Tree. Be sure to bring your account username and password with you. Follow this link to set-up a new FamilySearch account - Setting Up a FamilySearch Account.
- Reservations for the Discovery Center are required for groups of 6 or more. Make A Discovery Center Reservation.
The Center is staffed with volunteers who specialize in family history research specific to different areas of the world. These specialists will assist you with foreign languages and cultures. They can show you how to access geographical information and help you focus your research efforts.
FamilySearch provides the Center with access to premium genealogical and historical websites free of charge, i.e, Ancestry.com, MyHeritage, FindMyPast, American Heritage, 19th Century British Library Newspaper Archive, and many more.
Select FamilySearch Premium Sites for a listing of all offerings.
Family Research Classroom Instruction
Family History classes are available daily at 10:00 am and 1:00 pm. No reservation needed. Click the current month class schedule above for a listing of topics.
The classrooms and instructors can be reserved by stake, ward, family, or special interest groups. :To make a reservation for a group, select. Make A Classroom Reservation for a Group.
Photo Scanning Equipment
The Center has the following equipment available to you:
- Flatbed Scanner. Excellent for books, documents, certificates, and items with thick bindings. Individually scans multiple pictures from a single page.
- Batch Picture Scanner. Uses a feed tray which allows items to be scanned much faster than on the flatbed.
- Slide Scan. Automatically scans 35mm slides from a standard slide carousel.
- Lexmark Color Copier/Printer/Scanner. Converts multiple page documents into a single pdf file. This is ideal for preserving and sharing typewritten family histories.
To schedule the use of this equipment call (435) 673-4591.
NEW SERVICE - Photo Restoration
Old, historical photos that have been folded, torn or color faded through aging can now be restored. A Young Church Service Missionary has been called to share his talent of photo restoration.
If you have a photo to restore, (1) Scan it to make a digital copy. (2) Send the digital image file via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (3) Reference in the e-mail that you are using this service at the St George FamilySearch Center.
Please: Do not send more than 3 photos at one time.
Record Your Story (Recording booths)
A group Family Story Booth and two individual Story Booths are available for video and audio recording of your family stories.
Our Story Booth is a professional recording studio with state of the art audio and video recording equipment to capture your stories, testimonies, and interviews for your posterity. You may want to use these for recording returning missionaries stories of mission/bearing testimony, new members telling about conversion/baptism, children interviewing parents and grandparents, primary children answering basic gospel questions, your oral history and so much more.
Our equipment is able to save your oral history videos to flash drive media. To provide sufficient storage space a guest must bring a flash drive having more than 4GB free storage space to save recordings.
Select the following link to see further instructions and suggestions on how to prepare to use this part of our facility: Suggestions for Recording Your Story
Print this script page in preparation for your visit Record My Story Guide
Children Play Area and Kitchen Facility
There is a story and play area for small children which is surrounded by computer workstations where parents can work on their family history without leaving their children unattended.
A break room is available with a refrigerator and microwave oven.
The center does NOT have microfilm readers. FamilySearch is converting microfilm documents to a computer image format. The Bloomington Utah Family History Center located in Sun River has microfilm capability.
Last modified: 11/01/18 by: Theron and Shanna Schaefermeyer