Difference between revisions of "St Dionis Backchurch, London Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
Returned to the [[London Parishes St D-H]] page.  
+
Return to the [[London Parishes St D-H]] page.
 
+
St Dionis Backchurch is situated near the southwest corner of Lime Street, behind the houses on the north side of Fenchurch Street. It derives its name from being dedicated to St Dionis, Dionysius, or Denis, as it is called in various languages, an Athenian Areopagite, or judge, who was converted to Christianity, and became Bishop of Athens... The addition "Back Church" was given to this church from its situation, and to distinguish it from the church of St. Gabriel, which stood in front of the street.  
 St Dionis Backchurch is situated near the southwest corner of Lime Street, behind the houses on the north side of Fenchurch Street. It derives its name from being dedicated to St Dionis, Dionysius, or Denis, as it is called in various languages, an Athenian Areopagite, or judge, who was converted to Christianity, and became Bishop of Athens... The addition "Back Church" was given to this church from its situation, and to distinguish it from the church of St. Gabriel, which stood in front of the street.  
 
  
 
The ancient church was destroyed in the great fire in 1666, and rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren in 1674, who added the tower and steeple in 1684. The ediface is principally of stone, but part of the walls are of brick, which have been subsequently stuccoed. It is of the Ionic order, of a masculine bold style; within a nave 66 feet long, and 34 high, separated from two capacious aisles, by Ionic columns. The entire width of the nave and aisles is 34 feet within the walls. The oldest authentic mention of this church and parish is in 1288...  
 
The ancient church was destroyed in the great fire in 1666, and rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren in 1674, who added the tower and steeple in 1684. The ediface is principally of stone, but part of the walls are of brick, which have been subsequently stuccoed. It is of the Ionic order, of a masculine bold style; within a nave 66 feet long, and 34 high, separated from two capacious aisles, by Ionic columns. The entire width of the nave and aisles is 34 feet within the walls. The oldest authentic mention of this church and parish is in 1288...  

Revision as of 01:05, 3 March 2010

Return to the London Parishes St D-H page. St Dionis Backchurch is situated near the southwest corner of Lime Street, behind the houses on the north side of Fenchurch Street. It derives its name from being dedicated to St Dionis, Dionysius, or Denis, as it is called in various languages, an Athenian Areopagite, or judge, who was converted to Christianity, and became Bishop of Athens... The addition "Back Church" was given to this church from its situation, and to distinguish it from the church of St. Gabriel, which stood in front of the street.

The ancient church was destroyed in the great fire in 1666, and rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren in 1674, who added the tower and steeple in 1684. The ediface is principally of stone, but part of the walls are of brick, which have been subsequently stuccoed. It is of the Ionic order, of a masculine bold style; within a nave 66 feet long, and 34 high, separated from two capacious aisles, by Ionic columns. The entire width of the nave and aisles is 34 feet within the walls. The oldest authentic mention of this church and parish is in 1288...

it is one of the 13 peculiar in the city, belonging to the Archbishop of Canterbury.  The patronage was formerly in the prior and canons of the church; but at the dissolution of the priory, it was conferred by Henry VIII upon the demon chapter of Canterbury, who have remained patrons of the houses [till the 19th century].  It is a rectory, in the province of Canterbury...


[Adapted from:Topographical Dictionary London by James Elmes; published 1831]