St Catharines Ontario Family History Centre
|This Family History Centre article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Review the instructions and guidelines for FHC pages.
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
(Add a brief paragraph about your centre here and the area it serves. Information in italics below is guidance for you and should be deleted as you fill out the page. Remove italics from other text by selecting the text and clicking the "I" box in the Toolbar above.)
- 1 Centre Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Centre Resources
- 4 Centre Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Centre
Centre Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
St Catharines Ontario Canada Family History Centre
351 Glenridge Avenue
St Catharines, Ontario L2T 3K6, Canada
- 351 Glenridge Avenue, between Glendale Avenue and St. Davids Road, down the hill from Brock University.
- Go to door near the satellite dish in the back and ring bell for admittance
- (Link to map using Google or other map sites)
Open Hours: Tuesday 6:30 - 9:30 p.m.; Thursday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Holiday Schedule: closed August and 2 weeks at Christmas
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- Family History Library Catalog: This centre has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- 5 computers, 5 film readers, 2 fiche readers, photocopier
1. Family History Centre In-House Resources - table of typical resources found at most, if not all Family History Centres. These resources are all located at our centre.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
68 Church Street, St. Catharines
Our Centennial Public Library has extensive information for the Niagara area; Ontario civil registration indices of birth, marriage and death; province-wide early marriage, baptism, burial and probate records; extensive collection of local genealogies and much more.
2. James A. Gibson Library,
500 Glenridge Avenue,
St. Catharines, Ontario
(905) 688-5550 Ext. 4335
This special collections' library holds many records for genealogy and historical research of ancestors in the Niagara peninsula including the following collections:
•The Niagara Collection - covering all aspects of life and history in the Niagara area from the earliest times to the present, including the extant St. Catharines Assessment Rolls and the original Land Memorial books for Lincoln County
•The Loyalist Collection - primary source materials for the study of the United Empire Loyalists
•The Masonic Book Collection - one of the largest collections of books on Freemasonry in a Canadian university
•War of 1812 Collections - a repository of 1812 era records, books and newspapers
3. Mayholme Foundation,
525 Ontario Street,
St. Catharines, Ontario
Mayholme Foundation is a non-profit charitable group dedicated to the study and collection of family history and to preserve the heritage of families in the areas of Old Lincoln and Welland counties and may have information you could use.
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your centre such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your centre is located.)
1. City of St. Catharines information for visitors and residents
2. Tourism St. Catharines includes listings for local hotels and motels
3. Victoria Lawn Cemetery - index and photographs of approximately 2077 headstones located in the primary cemetery of St. Catharines.
Volunteer at the Centre
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)