St Bartholomew the Less, London Genealogy
"St Bartholomew the Less, the church of, is situated within principal gate of Bartholomew's hospital on the southeast side of West Smithfield. It was originally a chapel to the hospital and was founded in the year 11 to; but at the dissolution of the priory, it was converted into a parish church for the inhabitants of the precinct of the hospital. It is a vicarage, in the gift of the Lord Mayor, Aldermen, and common Council of the city, as governors of the hospital. The church is an old fabric, but was tastefully and substantially repaired, and the interior rebuilt in 1823, by Phillip Hardwick, Esq., the survey are to the hospital."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
|Online St Bartholomew the Less Parish Register Images and Indexes|
|Images||1629-1631, 1639-1640, 1807-1813 Ancestry baptisms, marriages, and burials|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Broad Street Ward - The Parisshe of Saint Bartilmew the Litle, courtesy: British History Online
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Farringdon Ward Without - Lyttell Saynt Bartholmewes, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Farringdon Ward Without - St Bartholomewes the Lesse Parishe, courtesy: British History Online
- London Subsidy Roll, c.1589 - St. Bartholmues ye Lesse, courtesy: Family History Archives (see page 160)
1638 Inhabitants List
1666 Hearth Tax
Add unique information about the censuses. Add links to online census records, and/or link to the Family History Library film/fiche numbers.
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue
- St Bartholomew the Less (official website). Photographs, history, visitor directions.
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Bartholomew the Less')
- James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Bartholomew the Less in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Bartholomew the Less in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Bartholomew the Less in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Bartholomew the Less in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- Batch M151081, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register xxx.
- 'Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- John Hanson, 'City of London Burials,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- 'Greater London Burials: Middlesex and City of London Burials: Parishes, Counts and References,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.