St Bartholomew the Less, London Genealogy
St Bartholomew the Less, the church of, is situated within principal gate of Bartholomew's hospital on the southeast side of West Smithfield. It was originally a chapel to the hospital and was founded in the year 11 to; but at the dissolution of the priory, it was converted into a parish church for the inhabitants of the precinct of the hospital. It is a vicarage, in the gift of the Lord Mayor, Aldermen, and common Council of the city, as governors of the hospital. The church is an old fabric, but was tastefully and substantially repaired, and the interior rebuilt in 1823, by Phillip Hardwick, Esq., the survey are to the hospital.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Farringdon Ward Without - St Bartholomewes the Lesse Parishe, courtesy: British History Online
- London Subsidy Roll, c.1589 - St. Bartholmues ye Lesse, courtesy: Family History Archives (see page 160)
1638 Inhabitants List
1666 Hearth Tax
Add unique information about the censuses. Add links to online census records, and/or link to the Family History Library film/fiche numbers.
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue
- St Bartholomew the Less (official website). Photographs, history, visitor directions.
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Bartholomew the Less')
- James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.