Difference between revisions of "St Bartholomew the Less, London Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with 'St Bartholomew the Less, the church of, is situated')
 
Line 1: Line 1:
St Bartholomew the Less, the church of, is situated
+
Return to the [[London Parishes S-St C]] page.
 +
 
 +
St Bartholomew the Less, the church of, is situated within principal gate of Bartholomew's hospital on the southeast side of West Smithfield.  It was originally a chapel to the hospital and was founded in the year 11 to; but at the dissolution of the priory, it was converted into a parish church for the inhabitants of the precinct of the hospital.  It is a vicarage, in the gift of the Lord Mayor, Aldermen, and common Council of the city, as governors of the hospital.  The church is an old fabric, but was tastefully and substantially repaired, and the interior rebuilt in 1823, by Phillip Hardwick, Esq., the survey are to the hospital.
 +
 
 +
[Adapted from: ''Topographical Dictionary of London'' by James Elmes; published 1831]

Revision as of 22:36, 2 March 2010

Return to the London Parishes S-St C page.

St Bartholomew the Less, the church of, is situated within principal gate of Bartholomew's hospital on the southeast side of West Smithfield.  It was originally a chapel to the hospital and was founded in the year 11 to; but at the dissolution of the priory, it was converted into a parish church for the inhabitants of the precinct of the hospital.  It is a vicarage, in the gift of the Lord Mayor, Aldermen, and common Council of the city, as governors of the hospital.  The church is an old fabric, but was tastefully and substantially repaired, and the interior rebuilt in 1823, by Phillip Hardwick, Esq., the survey are to the hospital.

[Adapted from: Topographical Dictionary of London by James Elmes; published 1831]