St Andrew Undershaft with St Mary Axe, London Genealogy
St Andrew, Undershaft, then church of, is situated at the southeast corner of the street called St Mary Axe and Leaden Hall Street. There was a church on this site dedicated to the same site as early as the year 1362, which was pulled down in 1532, and the present church erected in its room, at the expense of William Fitz Williams, who was sheriff in 1507. It derives its name of Undershaft from a very lofty Maypole, anciently called a shaft, which was annually raised in the street near to it on Mayday, and was higher than the steeple. The church is a plain Gothic structure with a well lighted body, and the square tower, with pinnacles at the angles, and a campanile with six bells within them. It is a rectory, in the gift of the Bishop of London, and is celebrated as containing the monument raised in memory of the faithful and able historiographer of the city, John Stowe... 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
|Online St Andrew Undershaft with St Mary Axe Parish Register Images and Indexes|
|Images||1558-1812 Ancestry baptisms, marriages, and burials|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Aldgate Ward - The Parisshe of Saint Andrewe Undershafte, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Aldgate Ward - Saint Androwes Undershafte and Al Hallowes in ye Wall Parishes, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Lime Street Ward - St Peters and St Andrewes Paroches, courtesy: British History Online
- London Subsidy Roll, c.1589 - St. Andrew Undershafte, courtesy: Family History Archives (see page 149)
1638 Inhabitants List
1666 Hearth Tax
Add unique information about the censuses. Add links to online census records, and/or link to the Family History Library film/fiche numbers.
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Andrew Undershaft Parish records)
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Mary Axe Parish records)
- St Andrew Undershaft (ourpasthistory.com). Photographs, history.
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Andrew Undershaft' or 'London St Mary Axe')
- James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Andrew Undershaft in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Andrew Undershaft in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Andrew Undershaft in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Andrew Undershaft in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- Batches C004962, P004961, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register xxx.
- "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- John Hanson, "City of London Burials," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- "Webb's London Marriages - Marriages, periods and parishes/churches," British Origins, accessed 4 July 2011.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm