St. Philips Parish, South Carolina
St. Philip's Parish serves Charleston.
It was the city's first church. Made of wood, it was located at the southeast corner of Broad and Meeting streets. This structure was replaced by a more permanent edifice in 1723 and opened on Easter. St. Philips was the earliest Church of England in the Carolinas and was the first Protestant foundation south of Virginia.
South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Borders Christ Church, St. Andrew's, St. James Goose Creek, St. Michael's, and St. Thomas and St. Denis parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina.
In 1951-1952, the Genealogical Society of Utah microfilmed a typescript of the parish register, which begins in 1713: FHL Films 23339, 22740 Items 3-5, 22741 Items 1-3.
- History of Charleston County South Carolina, by Thomas Petigru Lesesne, 1931 FHL book 975.7915 D3l or FHL film 1598278 item 2.
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.