St. Marks Parish, South Carolina

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 14:50, 6 June 2011 by DiltsGD (talk | contribs) (borders)

Jump to: navigation, search

United States Gotoarrow.png South Carolina Gotoarrow.png St. Mark's Parish


Before the American Revolution, the state church of South Carolina was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.[1]


St. Mark's Parish (originally in Summerton, Clarendon, SC, now near Pinewood, Sumter, SC) was created in 1757 from the northwest side of Prince Frederick Parish on the far northwest side of Craven County.[2]


Borders: Prince Frederick and St. Stephen's parishes on the southeast, the Berkeley (1682-1768) County line and St. Johns Berkeley|St. John's Berkeley Parish]] on the southwest, and the North Carolina line on the northeast. In 1767 the northwest half of the parish was split off to St. David's Parish. In 1768 St. Matthew's Parish in Orangeburgh District, and St. James Goose Creek became the southwest border.

St. Stephen's parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at

Areas Served: St. Mark's Parish served:

Modern equivalents: The original parish covered most of what are present-day Clarendon, and Sumter, and parts of Lee, Darlington, Dillon, Horry, Marion, Florence, Williamsburg, and Richland counties.



Select graves from St. Mark's Parish Church Cemetery are described at Find A Grave.

The tombstones at Richardson Cemetery, a private burial ground within the parish, have been transcribed:

  • "Tombstone Inscriptions, Richardson Cemetery: Located in Old St. Mark's Parish; Four Miles Southeast of Remini, Clarendon County, S.C.," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 28, No. 1 (Jan. 1927):55-68. Digital version at JSTOR ($).

Parish History

  • Burgess, James M. Chronicles of St. Mark's Parish, Santee Circuit, and Williamsburg Township, South Carolina. Columbia, S.C.: Charles A. Calvo, Jr., Printer, 1888. Digital version at Google Books; FHL Film 908980 Item 9
  • Richardson, Thomas E. The Parish of St. Mark. FHL Film 954248 Item 9.

For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 13, St. Mark's Parish, pages 323-325, in:

  • Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.

Parish Records



  1. "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
  2. Wikipedia contributors, "St. Mark's Episcopal Church (Pinewood, South Carolina)" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at,_South_Carolina%29 (accessed 4 June 2011).