Difference between revisions of "St. Louis County, Missouri Genealogy"
|Line 111:||Line 111:|
== Societies/Museums ==
== Societies/Museums ==
== Web Sites ==
== Web Sites ==
Revision as of 12:15, 26 June 2011
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Archives and Libraries
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.3 Church History and Records
- 4.4 County Directories
- 4.5 Court Records
- 4.6 Land
- 4.7 Local Histories
- 4.8 Maps
- 4.9 Military
- 4.10 Newspapers
- 4.11 Taxation
- 4.12 Vital Records (Civil)
- 5 Societies/Museums
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1812--St. Louis County was created 1 October 1812 as an original district. County seat: Clayton 
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all Missouri Counties.
- Franklin SW
- Jefferson S
- Madison (Illinois) NE
- Monroe (Illinois) SE
- St. Charles NW
- St. Clair (Illinois) SE
- St. Louis (Independant city) E
Archives and Libraries
- St. Louis Public Library (St. Louis City) owns a large collection of books, periodicals, maps, and other miscellaneous materials that deal with the history of St. Louis City, and Library staff have indexed many previously unindexed books and materials on that topic. They also own a large local history card file, and a large vertical file consisting of articles clipped from local newspapers and other local publications.
St. Louis Public Library Local History Indexes and Bibliographies
- St. Louis County Library has a large collection of genealogical records for St. Louis City and St. Louis County in its Special Collections Department located at its main headquarters. The collection includes holdings from the St. Louis Genealogical Society as well as parish records from the Archdiocese of St. Louis. In addition to its holdings, the staff of the Special Collections Department has created indexes for many records including St. Louis newspapers as well as birth, naturalization, probate, and church records.
- Missouri History Museum Library and Research Center has a collection of books, manuscripts, periodicals, newspapers, maps, and photographs including: Biographies, yearbooks, business and trade catalogs and military records. Their website has a searchable genealogy index that covers many of these collections.
- Search the Archdiocese of St. Louis Cemetery records for burials in seventeen Catholic cemeteries from the St. Louis area.
- New Mt. Sinai Cemetery records (Jewish) are available online.
- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has burial records for Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery and other Veterans Affairs National Cemeteries around the country.
- List of St Louis Area Cemeteries with records on Cd available for purchase from the St. Louis Genealogical Society.
Church History and Records
- The St. Louis County Library has a page that lists its available Catholic resources including a list of Catholic priests * that served in St. Louis from 1841-1900.
- St. Louis County Library's Catholic records collection is large. A list of their holdings from the Archdiocese of St. Louis is not available online. They have published a 348 page guide Guide To St. Louis Catholic Archdiocesan Parish Records detailing their holdings.
- The St. Louis County Library has a page that lists its available Lutheran resources including an index to some Immanuel Lutheran Church and St. Paul's Lutheran Church records.
Evangelical and United Church of Christ
- The St. Louis County Library has a page that lists its available Evangelical resources including a list of Evangelical priests * that served from 1834-2005.
* With the priests name from a civil marriage record, this list can be used to locate a church marriage record which often contains more family information.
- The St. Louis County Directory for 1893 is available on Google Books.
- The St. Louis County Library has St. Louis County Directories for 1893, 1896, 1903 and other later years available in their Special Collections Department.
- Missouri State Archives - Online access to St. Louis Probate records (original documents)
- St. Louis County Library has created an Index to Naturalizations. Site provides information on the various naturalization records from the U.S. Circuit Court.
- Map of modern day St. Louis County townships (Histopolis) - also shows the locaton of cemeteries from the St. Louis area.
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including St. Louis County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from St. Louis County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of St. Louis County.
- - 43rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company A.
St. Louis County Library has created an Index to Registers of Enlistments in the United States Army, 1798-1914. The names included in the extracted set below include ONLY enlistees who were either born in St. Louis, Mo., or who enlisted at St. Louis or at Jefferson Barracks (shown as Jeff Bks in the chart) which is located in St. Louis County.
Vital Records (Civil)
See St. Louis County, Missouri Vital Records for information on St. Louis County vital records and their indexes.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Genealogy in St. Louis
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).