St. Louis City, Missouri Genealogy
- 1 Independent City Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Archives and Libraries
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.3 Church History and Records
- 4.4 Court Records
- 4.5 History
- 4.6 Land and Deed Records
- 4.7 Maps
- 4.8 Military History and Records
- 4.9 Newspapers
- 4.10 Taxation
- 4.11 Vital Records (Civil)
- 5 Societies / Museums
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Independent City Courthouse
1877--St. Louis City was created from St. Louis County as an independent city. 
Archives and Libraries
- St. Louis Public Library (St. Louis City) owns a large collection of books, periodicals, maps, and other miscellaneous materials that deal with the history of St. Louis City, and Library staff have indexed many previously unindexed books and materials on that topic. They also own a large local history card file, and a large vertical file consisting of articles clipped from local newspapers and other local publications.
St. Louis Public Library Local History Indexes and Bibliographies
- St. Louis County Library has a large collection of genealogical records for St. Louis City in its Special Collections Department located at its main headquarters. The collection includes holdings from the St. Louis Genealogical Society as well as parish records from the Archdiocese of St. Louis. In addition to its holdings, the staff of the Special Collections Department has created indexes for many records including St. Louis newspapers as well as birth, naturalization, probate, and church records.
- Missouri History Museum Library and Research Center has a collection of books, periodicals, newspapers, maps, and photos including: St. Louis newspapers, fire insurance maps, business and trade catalogs and St. Louis city directories. Their website has a searchable genealogy index.
- Search the Archdiocese of St. Louis Cemetery records for burials in seventeen Catholic cemeteries from the St. Louis area.
- See St. Louis County for additional St. Louis area cemetery resources.
Church History and Records
- The St. Louis County Library has a page that lists its available Catholic resources including a list of Catholic priests that served in St. Louis from 1841-1900. With this list, a church marriage record can be found using the priests name from the civil marriage record to the church marriage record which often contains more family information.
- St. Louis County Library's Catholic records collection is large. They have published a 348 page guide Guide To St. Louis Catholic Archdiocesan Parish Records detailing their holdings.
- The St. Louis County Library has a page that lists its available Lutheran resources including an index to some Immanuel Lutheran and St. Paul's Lutheran Church records.
Evangelical and United Church of Christ
- The St. Louis County Library has a page that lists its available Evangelical resources including a list of Evangelical priests that served from 1834-2005.
- Missouri State Archives - Online access to St. Louis Probate records (original documents)
- St. Louis County Library has created an Index to Naturalizations. Site provides information on the various naturalization records from the U.S. Circuit Court and U.S. District Court.
Land and Deed Records
Military History and Records
Vital Records (Civil)
See St. Louis City, Missouri Vital Records for a more information on St. Louis City vital records and their indexes.
Societies / Museums
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Genealogy in St. Louis
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).