St. Joseph County, Michigan Genealogy
Guide to St. Joseph County Michigan genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|St. Joseph County, Michigan|
Location of Michigan in the U.S.
|Founded||October 29, 1829|
|Address|| St. Joseph County Courthouse|
125 W Main St.
Centreville, MI 49032-0189
St. Joseph County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1867,
marriage records from 1832, divorce and court records from 1900
and naturalization records.
Probate Court has probate records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
1829--St. Joseph County was created 29 October 1829 from unorganized territory. County seat: Centreville 
- Mennonite Cemetery
- Mottville Township Cemetery
- Center Park Cemetery
- Moorepark Road North Park or Mint Cemetery
- Moorepark Cemetery
- Parkville Cemetery
- South Park Cemetery
- The Portrait and biographical album of St. Joseph County, Michigan is a 606 page history of St. Joseph County that was published by Chapman brothers in 1889. The book was digitized February 11, 2008 and made available on Google Books.
- Family Maps of St. Joseph County, Michigan Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Civil War service men from St. Joseph County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from St. Joseph County.
- - 17th Regiment, Michigan Infantry, Company C
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
- Michigan Death Record Search, 1867-2008 -- A free index to deaths that occurred in St. Joseph county, Michigan is available at the County Clerk's death records web site.
Societies and Libraries
Burr Oak Public Library
220 S 2nd
Burr Oak, MI 49030
255 North St
Sturgis MI 49091
128 S Blackstone Ave
Colon MI 49040
Three Rivers Public Library
920 W Michigan Ave
Three Rivers MI 49093
Constantine MI 49042
White Pigeon Library
105 N Kalamazoo St
White Pigeon MI 49099
314 W Main
Mendon MI 49072
Glen Oaks Community College Library
62249 Shimmel Road
Centreville MI 49032
Nottawa Public Library
112 S Clark St
Centreville MI 49032
- St. Joseph County Genealogical Society
- Tri-State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), St Joseph County, Michigan page 351, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).