St. Davids Parish, South Carolina
Before the American Revolution, the state church of South Carolina was the Church of England (also called the Anglican Church, and later the Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.
- Borders Prince Frederick and St. Mark's parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at Carolana.com.
Historic St. David's Parish, now known as St. David's Episcopal Church, located in Cheraw, South Carolina, serves the area of the historic Cheraws District and Georgetown District, which, since 1785, has been Chesterfield, Marlboro, and Darlington counties.
During the Revolutionary war St. David’s Church was used as quarters for the South Carolina militia and as a hospital for the British troops under Major McArthur, who was under Lord Cornwallis’s command.
- Lost parish registers: 1768 to 1818
- St. David's Episcopal Church. Women's Auxiliary. Chapter B. Old St. David's, Cheraw, South Carolina, 1770-1947. Cheraw, S.C.: Lillian Lovelace, 1975. FHL Book 975.763/C1 K2o
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 14, St. David's Parish, pages 326-327, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
The original parish registers are kept in [Charleston?], South Carolina. Copies of a transcript: FHL Film 22742 Item 6. Published abstracts:
- Holcomb, Brent H. and St. David's Episcopal Church. St. David's Parish, South Carolina: Minutes of the Vestry, 1768-1832; Parish Register, 1819-1924. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1979. FHL Book 975.763/C1 K2h
- General Tax Collection List, Parish of St. David, 1783-1787, Darlington Flag, Vol. 20, No. 1 (Winter 2008).
- Old St. David's Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- "South Carolina Districts and Parishes 1770" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1770.html (accessed 7 May 2011).
- Brent H. Holcomb, St. David's Parish, South Carolina: Minutes of the Vestry, 1768-1832; Parish Register, 1819-1924 (Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1979), introduction.
- Wiki Contributors, "Cheraw, South Carolina," Wikipedia, accessed 25 January 2011.