Spokane Indian Agency (Washington)
Some of the textual records of the Spokane Agency have been transferred to the Pacific Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Seattle. Among their many administrative files are the following records which may be of particular interest to family historians:
- Allotment records, 1875, 1888
- Land description ledgers, 1888-1918
- Annuity payrolls, 1893-1934
- Census rolls, 1906-1943
- Heirship records, 1914
- School census records, 1915-1952
- Student records, 1930-1931
Some of these records (and perhaps others of the agency records) have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and at their many family history centers.
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the Spokane Indian Reservation. The census includes the non-Indian employees of the Spokane Agency, as well as many pages of Indian Population Schedules for the native population of the Reservation. They are recorded as District 119, Spokane Indian Reservation, in Stevens County, Washington.
Microfilm copies of...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Spokane Agency, 1907-1938, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, roll 143, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and their family history centers (their microfilm roll number 1724361).
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1913 thru 1924. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, roll 546. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm number 583005). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online