Spalding County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Spalding County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Spalding County, Georgia|
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||December 20, 1851|
|Address|| Spalding County Courthouse]|
132 W Solomon Street
Griffin, GA 30223-3312
Spalding County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
- 1852-1881 - Spalding County Marriage Index 1851-1881. Batch M713711 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1882-1893 - Spalding County Marriage Index 1882-1893. Batch M713712 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885-1886 - Spalding County Marriage Index 1885-1886 (from newspapers) Georgia Pioneers
- 1891-1895 - Spalding County Marriage Index 1891-1895. Batch M713713 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Spalding County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Spalding County, Georgia. Page 159 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.