Southwark St Olave, Surrey Genealogy, England
Southwark St Olave, Surrey family history and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers (baptisms, christenings, marriages, and burials), civil registration (births, marriages, and deaths), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and website resources.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Baptisms at St Olave Workhouse from 1848 to 1866 are indexed on FamilySearch in Batch C049641.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Non Conformist Churches
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Bridge Ward - Perryshe of Seynt Olave (Southwark), courtesy: British History Online
- Southwark St Olave, Bridge Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/151); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- Southwark St Olave, Bridge Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/484); copy: FHL Film 2228702.
- Southwark St Olave, Bridge Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/562); copy: FHL Film 2228704.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
'SOUTHWARK St Olave was created by at least the year 1582, is one of five ancient parishes in this metropolitan borough, with three registration districts ('St Saviour, St Olave, and St George), in the county of Surrey. The borough lies on the south side of the River Thames, opposite the City of London; attached with the city by the London, Southwark, and Blackfriars bridges;
'The five ancient parishes of Southwark include St Olave, St George the Martyr , Christ Church, St Saviour, and St Thomas.
The ecclesiastical arrangement for Southwark included also the following chapelries:
- All Hallow, Copperfield St - 1875
- St Alphege - 1872
- St Jude - 1850
- St Mary Magdalen - 1843
- St Michael - 1867
- St Paul Westminster Road.- 1858
- St Peter - 1846
- St Stephen - 1850
- Wilberforce Mission Church -
The places of worship within the new borough, which includes the parish incumbencies of Horsley-Down, Bermondsey, and Rotherhithe. Included in the borough are the following Nonconformist churches:
- English Presbyterian Church - 1
- Independents - 1
- Baptists - 15
- Quakers - 1
- Unitarians - 1
- Wesleyan Methodists - 7
- Primitive Methodists - 1
- Wesleyan Association - 3
- Wesleyan Reformers - 1
- Welsh Calvinistic Methodists - 1
- Roman Catholics -3
There were four additional unspecified dissenting chapels in the borough as well.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Olave, Bermondsey in Southwark Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Olave in Southwark Borough and Bermondsey St Olave in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Bermondsey St Olave in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Bermondsey St Olave in Southwark Borough and St Olave in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- Batches C022722, C022723, C022724, C022725, C022726, C022727, C022728, P006311, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (N-Z), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net (WayBack Machine), accessed 27 March 2012.
- Batches M022721, M022722, M022723, M022724, M022725, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (N-Z), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012; Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 11 April 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- John Marius Wilson,Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales(1870)