Southtown, Suffolk Genealogy
SOUTHTOWN, anciently a parish, but now commonly considered a hamlet in the parish of Gorleston, locally in the hundred of Mutfrod and Lothingland, E. division of Suffolk.
Southtown St Mary is an ecclesiastical parish within the Diocese of Norwich and the county of Suffolk. Southtown St Mary became a chapelry to Gorleston in 1511. Gorleston was united with the hamlet of Southtown, whose parish church of St Mary was demolished in 1548, the stone being used to build a pier.
A subsequent chapel of ease to Gorleston which later became a parish.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
- For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Yarmouth/Yarmouth.shtml
Maps and Gazetteers
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 149-152