Southern Pueblos Indian Agency (New Mexico)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Southern Pueblos Agency was established in 1919, along with the Northern Pueblos Agency. These two agencies assumed responsibilities formerly held by the Pueblos Agency. The Southern Pueblos Agency had jurisdiction over the Laguna Sanatorium, the Navajo communities of Canoncito and Puertocito, and the pueblos and day schools in the proximity of Albuquerque, where the agency had its headquarters. The Laguna Sanatorium became independent in 1924. The Southern Pueblos Agency was abolished in 1935 and its responsibilities were transferred to the new United Pueblos Agency.
Some of the historical textual records of the Southern Pueblos Agency, which may include records of earlier agencies having jurisdiction over the same tribes, are now housed at the Rocky Mountain Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Denver. Among those records, of particular value for genealogical and historical research, are:
- Allotment records, 1909-1928
- List of patients at health facilities, 1814-1934
- Birth and death certificates, 1918-1920
- a list of students, 1924
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1920 thru 1935. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 532-542. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 581907-581915 and 583000-583001). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online