South Hetton or Haswell, Durham Genealogy
HASWELL, a township, in theparish and union of Easington, S. division of Easington ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 6 miles (E. by N.) from Durham. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans.
The parish of Haswell or South Hetton was formed in 1870 from the parish of Easington. Haswell St Paul parish includes Haswell and Hetton. From the arrangement of Bishop's Transcripts it is evident that these communities were treated as a separate group from the Easington parish.
Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections DDR/EA/PBT/2/135 October 1838-October 1852 Parish Register transcripts are available to search free online at Record Search. The transcripts are marked "Easington parish district of Haswell" and distinct from the Easington parish trancripts kept in a seperate collection at DDR/EA/2/135
The dates of the post-1760 transcripts have been noted in detail and sometimes only cover years. For most parishes in the collection there are gaps in the sequence of transcripts. It is advisable to consult the original parish registers for these years and events.
The Parish Registers for the period 1867-1974 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Hasw).
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 435-441.
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.