South Dakota Gazetteers
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 19:19, 12 February 2011 by Murphynw (adoption sign, hid exposed hyperlinks)
United States South Dakota Gazetteers
Photo courtesy of http://rockyweb.cr.usgs.gov/outreach/articles/isntthatspatial_7_placenames.html. Go to this website to learn more about place names.
You can study local histories and maps to learn about the places in South Dakota where your family lived. There are two very helpful guides that will help you identify South Dakota place-names.
- R. L. Polk & Company. Northwestern Gazetteer: Minnesota, North and South Dakota and Montana Gazetteer and Business Directory. St. Paul, Minnesota: R. L. Polk & Company, 1914. (Family History Library films 1321220-1.)
- Phillips, George H. The Postoffices of South Dakota, 1861-1930. Crete, Nebraska: J-B Publishing, 1975. (Family History Library book 978.3 E8p.)
- The Columbia Gazetteer of North America
- U.S. Census Bureau: U.S. Gazetteer
- U.S. Geological Survey (GNIS)
- University of South Dakota: South Dakota Place Names (identifies many resources)
- Directory of Cities and Towns in South Dakota