Sonoma County History and Genealogy Library|
E-mail: E-mail a Librarian
- Local History and Genealogy Annex
- 211 E Street
- Santa Rosa, CA 95404
Telephone: 707-545-0831 ext. 562
Hours: Wednesday through Saturday: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Internet sites and databases:
The genealogical collection includes national and international reference materials and periodicals such as.
- Ancestry.com available on computers at all branches. Ancestry includes records from all the United States census, also military, court, land, probate, vital, church, directories, passenger lists and more.
- Heritage Quest Online: US Census records 1790-1930, 22,000 books and family histories, PERSI Index, Revolutionary War, and Freedman Bank records. Database is available from a home computer with a library card.
Sonoma County and California sources
- Sonoma County History Index of names, places, and events in thousands of local history books.
- Sonoma County newspapers (Press Democrat): microfilm, 1857 to 1969
- Sonoma County city directories 1874 – 1969
- Photo collection of 35,000 Sonoma County images from 1800’s to 2000; over half already digitized and online.
- California city directories 1874 – 1969
Sonoma County Genealogical Society publications
- 1890 Census of Sonoma County
- Sonoma County Cemetery Records 1846-1921
- Sonoma County Death Records 1873-1905
- Index to 1890 Great Register of Voters
- Early Sonoma County Land Grants
- Naturalization Records in Sonoma County 1841-1930
- Vital Data in Sonoma County Newspapers
Sonoma County History & Genealogy Library brochure (.pdf)
If you cannot visit or find a record at the Sonoma County History and Genealogy Library, a similar record may be available at one of the following.
- Lake County Library, local history (Mauldin notes), newspapers 1863-now, vital records index 1863-1949.
- Marin County Free Library, San Rafael, California Room, oral history, images, maps.
- Napa City-County Library, HeritageQuestOnline, ProQuest, Biography and Genealogy Master Index.
- Mendocino County Library, newspapers, computers, genealogy reference room (Ft. Bragg).
- California State Archives, probates, deeds, naturalizations, National Guard, prisons, veteran home registers.
- California State Library, California Information File, censuses, county histories, vital records, DAR, newspapers.
- California Historical Society, Online Archive of California, 50,000 books, 4000 manuscripts, 500,000 images.
- California Genealogical Society and Library, databases, census, vital, military, naturalizations, newspapers.
- United States District Court Northern District of California, federal court records.
- Sonoma County Hall of Justice, birth, marriage, death, and other court records.
- National Archives, Pacific Sierra Region, San Bruno, federal censuses 1790–1930; selected military service indexes, pension indexes, passenger lists, and naturalizations, African American and Native American records.
- Sutro Library, San Francisco, best genealogical collection in California, family and local history, indexes.
- Bancroft Library, Berkeley, western Americana and migration, maps, newspapers, photographs.
- University of California Libraries, libraries on 10 UC campuses.
- Sonoma State University Library, newspapers, ethnic collections, oral histories, genealogical Internet links.