Somerset Military History
History of the Military in Somerset
Somerset Light Infantry
The custom of Regiments was to be called after their commanding officer.This tradition carried on till 1752, when they took their seniority number in line. A example of this is the regiment was changed to the 13th Regiment of Foot. The name of the regiment closely followed what their role was on the battle field. This is true about the Somerset Light Infantry. They were originally called The Earl of Huntingdon’s Regiment of Foot.There original role was foot soldiers or infantry.
- The regiment was formed in 1685 by King James II because of the threat from The Duke of Monmouth.
- The Earl of Huntingdon's Regiment of Foot. (1685)
- The Hastings Regiment (13th Regiment of Foot). (1688)
- The regiment changed from foot soldier to cavalry and was renamed Pearce's Dragoons (1707-1713).
Somerset Military Museum
The Somerset Military museum is located within the  Museum of Somerset in Taunton Castle in the centre of the County Town. Entrance is free.
The museum features:
- The Somerset Light Infantry (Prince Albert's)
- The Somerset and Cornwall Light Infantry
- The West Somerset Yeomanry
- The North Somerset Yeomanry
- Somerset Militia, Rifle Volunteers and Territorials
- The Light Infantry and its successor regiment, The Rifles
Its website will in future appear as part of the Museum of Somerset website. This is currently being written.
Correspondence for the curator of the Somerset Military Museum should be sent to:
The Rifles Office 14 Mount Street Taunton Somerset TA1 3QB
Tel: 01823 333434
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Research military History
Research enquiries should be directed to:
- Somerset Archive and Record Office
- Somerset Heritage Centre
- Brunel Way, Langford Mead
- Norton Fitzwarren
- TA2 6SF
Tel: 01823 278805
- Email : email@example.com