Difference between revisions of "Somerset County, Maryland Genealogy"
|Line 148:||Line 148:|
==== Church ====
==== Church ====
==== Court ====
==== Court ====
Revision as of 22:19, 26 March 2010
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
11916 Somerset Avenue
Princess Anne, MD 21853
- Named for Mary, Lady Somerset, wife of Sir John Somerset and daughter of Thomas Arundell, 1st Baron Arundell of Wardour, sister of Anne (Arundell) Calvert, Baroness Baltimore, wife of Cecilius Calvert, 2nd Lord Baltimore. 
- Created 22 August 1666 from the Colonial lands.
- Findagrave Transcriptions
- Histories and Transcriptions of Cemeteries in Somerset County.
- Tombstone Transcription Project
Federal Census reports available 1800-1930 including slave and veterans schedules. Exception-1830 Federal Census is missing.
Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions identifies all churches known to have existed in Somerset County, Maryland. It covers all denominations and includes record descriptions.
- [Covington] Covington, Elbert E. Covington and Kin. DeSoto, Illinois: E.E. Covington, 1973?. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Delaymos] Russell, George Ely. "Portuguese and Spanish Colonists in Seventeenth-Century Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 76, No. 1 (January 2001):50-60.
- [Gibbons] Dryden, Ruth T. The Gibbons Family of Somerset County, Maryland. San Diego, California: R.T. Dryden, 1991. Available at FHL.
- [Gordy] See Melson.
- [Layfield] Hatcher, Patricia Law. "'Mother Nottle': A Correction to the Ancestry of George and Samuel Layfield of Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 77, No. 1 (Jan. 2002):18-24.
- [Melson] Melson, Lewis B. The Melson Family in America: With Special Emphasis on the John-John-Daniel-Daniel-Benjamin-Samson Branch that Originated on the Eastern Shore of the Delaware-Maryland-Virginia Peninsula. 2 vols. Annapolis: L.B. Melson, 1996. Available at FHL.
- [Smith] Smith, Wesley. A Family History and Fifty-two Years of Preacher Life in Mississippi and Texas. Nashville, Tenn.: University Press, 1898. Available at FHL. [Discusses seventeenth-century Smith immigrants.]
- [Townsend] Bayles, John J. and James L. Taylor. Some Descendants of John Townsend of Snow Hill, Maryland, 1640-1698, Accomack Co., Va., and Somerset Co., Md. Oxnard, California: J.J. Bayles, 1989. Available at FHL.
- [Waggaman] Edwards, Thomas Clarke. The Waggamans and Their Allied Families. Paramus, New Jersey: T.C. Edwards, 1983. Available at FHL.
- [Wright] Wright, Charles W. The Wright Ancestry of Caroline, Dorchester, Somerset and Wicomico Counties Maryland. Baltimore: Baltimore City Printing and Binding Co., 1907. Available at FHL; digital versions at BYU Family History Archives and Google Books (full-view).
- List of imported servants and convicts from Europe who served labor terms in Colonial Somerset County, Maryland, courtesy: Immigrant Servants Database.
Societies and Libraries
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Somerset County.
- Genealogy Trails
- The Somerset County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Somerset County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Somerset County. (Backup site)