Society of Australian Genealogists
History [edit | edit source]
This society was established in 1932 and are considered the oldest society of its kind in Australia. They have about 5,000 members from around the world and are incorporated under Australia's Corporation Law as a non-profit company.
Their prinicipal object is the advancement of genealogical education which is reflected through their activity programs and the size of their collections.
Contact Information:[edit | edit source]
- SAG, 379 Kent Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
- Headquarters telephone: 02 9247 3953 (outside of library hours)
- Telephone: 02 9299 5151 (During library hours)
- Library Hours:Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday from 10 am to 4pm
- Website: http://www.sag.org.au
Locations[edit | edit source]
Their primary records and/or manuscript materials are housed at the Richmond Villa, 120 Kent St., Sydney, NSW. All seminars and lecture programs are also held at the Richmond Villa. Directions are available here.
Their library and bookshop is located at 2/379 Kent Street, Sydney, NSW and slightly closer to Town Hall than Wynyard railway station. Directions are available on their site here.
Their library collection includes the following:
- Family Histories and Biographies
- Local and School Histories
- BMD Indexes for all states of Australia, New Zealand, England Wales and other countries
- Shipping Records
- Probate Records for many states of Australia and for England and Wales (1858-1943)
To view the whole list visit their library collection webpage here.
They do accept donations, to view the form, click here and use their main mailing address of 379 Kent Street to sent by post.
Research Guides[edit | edit source]
They have an extensive collection of Research Guides. It starts with Adoptions and runs through to Ships and Voyages, click here to view the whole list and secure a copy.
Events [edit | edit source]
As an education facility, they keep an event calendar on their website with a current list of upcoming speakers. It is a simple monthly calendar which can be moved forward or backward. To view their event listing go here.
Publications Available For Sale[edit | edit source]
Their bookshop is located on Level 2 at 379 Kent Street, NSW 2000 and is open during the regular library hours. Here is the link to their online shop.
Research Groups[edit | edit source]
- Family Tree Maker Users Group
- Irish Research Group
- English Research Group
- South Asia Reearch Group
- The Master Genealogist (TMG) Sydner User Group
Additional Information/Links[edit | edit source]