Smyth County, Virginia Genealogy
|Smyth County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Research Guides
- 4.2 African American
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Naturalization
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Occupations
- 4.15 Private Papers
- 4.16 Probate
- 4.17 Taxation
- 4.18 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Smyth County Courthouse
109 West Main Street, Room 144
Marion, VA 24354
- Circuit Court Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate, court, and land record from 1832
- Lost census: 1890
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Smyth County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 22, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1978):213-215. Available at American Ancestors ($).
Freedmen's Bureau Letters or Correspondence, 1865-1872
For tips on accessing Smyth County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
- Douthat, James L. 1840 Mountain Empire of Virginia Census. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2001. FHL Collection 975.5 X2d 1840. Free online surname index and purchase details at Mountain Press website. [Includes Smyth County.]
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
More than 25 genealogies have been published about Smyth County families. To view a list, visit Smyth County, Virginia Genealogy.
- Boyd, Charles Rufus. Resources of South-west Virginia: Showing the Mineral Deposits of Iron, Coal, Zinc, Copper and Lead, also the Staples of the Various Counties, Methods of Transportation Access, Etc. New York: J. Wiley, 1881. FHL Collection [Includes Smyth County.]
- Presgraves, James S. Smyth County Families and History. Wytheville, Va.: J. Presgraves, 1974. FHL Collection
- Sheffey, John P. General Resources and Advantages of Smyth County: In the Most Attractive Section of Appalachian Virginia. n.p.: n.p., 1907. FHL Collection; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Wilson, Goodridge. Smyth County, History and Traditions. Kingsport, Tenn.: Kingsport Press, 1932. FHL Collection 547258 Item 2; FHL Collection 975.5723 H2w 1976 reprint; Sturgill, Kenneth Lee. A Complete Researchers Index to "Smyth County History and Traditions." Marion, VA: K. L. Sturgill, 1986. Index: FHL Collection 975.5723 H2w index and FHL Collection 6103880; digital version at Ancestry ($); World Vital Records ($).
- Kegley, Mary B. Revolutionary War Pension Applications of Southwest Virginia Soldiers. n.p.: M.B. Kegley, 1997. FHL Collection [Includes Smyth County pensioners.]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Smyth County on page 136.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Smyth County, p. 104. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865
Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers 1861-1865
Civil War service men from Albemarle County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Albemarle County.
- Information about the companies from Smyth County is found:
(1) FHL book 975.5723 H2w Smyth County History and Traditions, pages 237-239
(2) FHL book 975.5 M2vr v. 29 titled A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations 1861-1865
- Marion Home Guard from Smyth County composed of about fifty men between the ages of 45-72 was organized in April 1861 according to information found on page 209 of the preceding reference (2).
Virginia Naturalization Petitions, 1906-1929
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. FHL. [Includes a section on Marion watchmakers.]
Virginia, Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007
- [1832-1850] Land Tax Books of Smyth County, Virginia, 1832-1850. Original records, Smyth County Courthouse, Marion, Va., microfilmed reproduction available at FHL.
- [1832-1850] Personal Property Tax Lists of Smyth County, Virginia, 1832-1850. Original records, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Va., microfilmed reproduction available at FHL.
-  Personal Property Tax List, 1832, Virginia Appalachian Notes. Roanoke VA: Nov 1985. Vol. 9 Iss. 4.
Indexes to Smyth County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
Beth Fridley has published abstracts of the following Smyth County birth records online at Ancestry:
- Smyth County, Virginia Births, 1875-78 [database on-line]. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Smyth County, Virginia Births, 1879-84 [database on-line]. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Smyth County, Virginia Births, 1885-96 [database on-line]. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
The original records covering 1853-1896 and an index covering 1853-1917 are available on microfilm at the Family History Library.
- Smyth County, Virginia Death Registers 1853-1896 and Index 1853-1917. Original records, Smyth County Courthouse, Marion, Va., microfilmed reproduction at FHL.
Societies and Libraries
Smyth County Genealogical Society: www.smythcountygs.org
Smyth-Bland Regional Library: www.sbrl.org
Family History Centers
- Smyth Co., VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. Maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- RootsWeb Mailing List: SW_VA-L (Topic: Southwest Virginia)
- Cyndi's List
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).