Smith County, Mississippi Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 18:11, 15 December 2010 by Krikar
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1833--Smith County was created 23 December 1833 from the Choctaw Cession. County seat: Raleigh 
- Civil War service men from Smith County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Smith County.
- - 6th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company D - Lowry Rifles
- - 8th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company A - Yankee Terrors
- Company C - True Confederates [also listed as Co. D]
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).