Sisseton Indian Agency (North Dakota)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Sisseton and Wahpeton Sioux
The Sisseton Agency was established in 1867 for the Sisseton and Wahpeton Sioux on the Lake Traverse (now Sisseton) and Devil's Lake Reservations. The Devils Lake Agency was separated from Sisseton Agency in 1871.
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Sisseton Agency, 1867-1880, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234, rolls 824-831. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers on their microfilm roll numbers 1661554 thru 1661561.
Some of the textual records of the Sisseton Agency have been transferred to the Central Plains Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Kansas City. Among their many administrative files are the following records which may be of particular interest to family historians:
- Allotment records, 1875, 1888
- Land description ledgers, 1888-1918
- Annuity payrolls, 1893-1934
- Census rolls, 1906-1943
- Heirship records, 1914
- School census records, 1915-1952
- Student records, 1930-1931
Some of these records (and perhaps others of the agency records) have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and at their many family history centers.
Reports of Inspection of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1873-1900 have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of Microcopy Number M1070. The reports for Sisseton Agency, 1867-1899, are on rolls 49-50 of that Microcopy set. Copies are available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1617722-1617723).
Microfilm copies of...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Sisseton Agency, 1907-1938, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, rolls 139-140, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and their family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1724357-1724358).
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1888-1891, 1893, 1895, 1897-1907, 1909-1927, and from 1929 thru 1939. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 507-516. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 581882-581891). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Marquette University. Guide to Catholic-Related Records in the Midwest about Native Americans.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.