Difference between revisions of "Silver City, Owyhee County, Idaho Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m
(added information)
Line 68: Line 68:
 
=== Church History and Records  ===
 
=== Church History and Records  ===
  
==== Historical ====
+
==== Historical ====
 +
 
 +
===== Episcopal Church  =====
 +
 
 +
St. James Episcopal Church operated in Silver City until about 1920. They donated their building to the Catholic Church in 1928.
 +
 
 +
===== Roman Cathoilic Church =====
 +
 
 +
The original Catholic Church in Silver City was known as St. Andrews. It was dedicated on 18 December 1868. The building was sold in 1873 and no Catholic church existed there until 1882. In that year, St. Andrews was rededicated as Our Lady of Sorrows. The rededication took place on 5 November 1882.
 +
 
 +
The building fell into disrepair nad was abandoned by 1925. In 1928, the Episcopalian Church donated their building (St. James Episcopal) to the Catholic Church and it was rededicated as [http://www.stpaulnampa.com/silver-city.aspx Our Lady of Tears], which still celebrates mass monthly during the summer season. It is a mission under St. Pauls of Nampa.
 +
 
  
Episcopal Church
 
  
 
Wagontown Catholic Church
 
Wagontown Catholic Church

Revision as of 21:37, 2 September 2010

United States > Idaho > Owyhee County > Silver City

Quick Facts

Geographic Location

City Hall

Resources

Biography

Cemeteries

The following are cemeteries in the mining district in the vicinity of Silver City.

Name of cemetery Location Records
Chinese Burial Ground Silver City Some records of this cemetery are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise
Delamar at DeLamar townsite Some records of this cemetery are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise; Transcription and some photos online  (55 interments - 22 Nov 2009 - Findagrave.com)
Fairview Fairview Townsite east of Silver City Some records of this cemetery are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise; Transcription online[1]
Knights of Pythias Silver City See listing under Silver City
Ruby City at Ruby City townsite about 1 mile north of Silver City Some records of this cemetery are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise; Transcription and photos online (3 interments - 25 Nov 2009 - Findagrave.com)
Silver City -- Knights of Pythias Silver City Some records of this cemetery are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise; Transcription and photos online (13 interments - 25 Nov 2009 - Findagrave.com)
Silver City -- Main or Citizen's
Some records of this cemetery are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise; Transcription and photos online  (35 interments - 22 Nov 2009 - Findagrave.com)
Silver City -- Masonic & Odd Fellows Silver City Transcription and photos online  (74 interments - 22 Nov 2009 - Findagrave.com)
Silver City -- Pioneer in north-eastern Silver City Some records of this cemetery are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise; Transcription and photos online  (19 interments - 22 Nov 2009 - Findagrave.com)
Wagontown Catholic 1 mile up Jordan Creek and 0.5 mile northeast of creek bottom Some records of this cemetery are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise; Transcription and photos online  (43 interments - 22 Nov 2009 - Findagrave.com)

Directions to some of the cemeteries are on the USGenWeb site for Owyhee County under Owyhee County Cemeteries.

Burials gathered by June Davies and Wilma Lewis Statham and published in a book entitled "Owyhee Gleanings" have been alphabetized together and are also available at the USGenWeb site for the county under "Owyhee Burials."

Church History and Records

Historical

Episcopal Church

St. James Episcopal Church operated in Silver City until about 1920. They donated their building to the Catholic Church in 1928.

Roman Cathoilic Church

The original Catholic Church in Silver City was known as St. Andrews. It was dedicated on 18 December 1868. The building was sold in 1873 and no Catholic church existed there until 1882. In that year, St. Andrews was rededicated as Our Lady of Sorrows. The rededication took place on 5 November 1882.

The building fell into disrepair nad was abandoned by 1925. In 1928, the Episcopalian Church donated their building (St. James Episcopal) to the Catholic Church and it was rededicated as Our Lady of Tears, which still celebrates mass monthly during the summer season. It is a mission under St. Pauls of Nampa.


Wagontown Catholic Church

Directories

The Idaho State Archives has a collection of city, county, state and regional directories.

History

Newspapers

School Records and Yearbooks

Websites

References

  1. Interment.net is a website providing transcriptions and photos of gravestones free of charge.

Template:Idaho-stub