Sierra County, New Mexico Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Sierra County Courthouse
311 N Date
Truth or Consequences, NM 87901
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1884, probate records, military discharge records from 1945; Clerk of the District Court has divorce and court records.
- Up until 1821 - New Spain controlled land that later would become New Mexico and Arizona. Some records of early settlers may have been sent to an archives in Seville, Spain, or to archives in Mexico City.
- From 1821 until 1846 - Mexico had jurisdiction over the land that later would become New Mexico and Arizona. Some records of this period may have been sent to archives in Mexico City. Starting in 1846 United States forces occupied New Mexico during the Mexican-American War.
- 1848 - Land that became Sierra County formally became a part of the United States when the Mexican-American War ended with ratification of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.
For tips on accessing Sierra County, New Mexico Genealogy census records online, see: New Mexico Census.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sierra County, New Mexico page 475, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.