Shoshone Indian Agency (Wyoming)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Shoshone, Arapaho, Cheyenne
The Shoshone Agency was originally called the Shoshone and Bannock Agency from its establishment in 1870 until 1883, when it became the Shoshone Agency. In 1937, the name was changed to the Wind River Agency.
Many of the historical records of this agency are housed in the Rocky Mountain Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Denver, Colorado as part of the collection of Wind River Agency records. Records in that collection which may be of assistance to the genealogist include:
- Land allotment records, 1896-1946
- Census records, 1894-1907, 1931-1958
- Record of employees at the Shoshone Agency, 1907-1922
Many more records of lesser genealogical value are also in this collection.
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the Shoshone Indian Reservation. The census includes the non-Indian employees of the Shoshone Agency, as well as many pages of Indian Population Schedules for the native population of the Reservation. They are recorded as District 73, Shoshone Agency], in Fremont County, Wyoming.
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1885, 1890-1893, and 1895-1937. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 498-504. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 581873-581879). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Shoshone Agency, 1907-1935, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Rolls 137-138, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm numbers 1724355-1724356.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.