Shoreditch St Leonard, Middlesex Genealogy
Shoreditch St Leonard, Middlesex family history and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers (baptisms, christenings, marriages, and burials), civil registration (births, marriages, and deaths), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and website resources.
Parish History[edit | edit source]
'SHOREDITCH St. Leonard, a parish, in the Tower division of the hundred of Ossulstone, County of Middlesex was one of Greater London's more populated boroughs. With the towns of both Haggerston and Hoxton (which see), this parish encompassed a considerable number of inhabitants. The church of St Mary's Haggerston was erected in 1827. The church in the Curtain-road, containing 1200 sittings, was consecrated, and dedicated to St. James, on the 4th of July, 1839.' This parish was subdivided into numerous chapelries and district churches by 1900. Be sure to see the above link to a "List of District Churches and Chapels Within St Leonard's Shoreditch Parish" for a more complete picture as to Shoreditch's ecclesiastical makeup.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Census and Inhabitants Lists[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
1666 Hearth Tax[edit | edit source]
1693-1694 Four Shilling in the Pound Aid[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Cemetery[edit | edit source]
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Web sites[edit | edit source]
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
References[edit | edit source]
- Samuel Lewis, ed. "Shobdon - Shorwell," In A Topographical Dictionary of England 87-90. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online here, (accessed: 29 April 2010).
- Ellis, Henry. The History and Antiquities of the Parish of St. Leonard Shoreditch, and Liberty of Norton Folgate, in the Suburbs of London. 1798. Digital version at Internet Archive.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Leonard, Shoreditch in Hackney Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Shoreditch St Leonard in Hackney Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Shoreditch St Leonard in Hackney Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Shoreditch St Leonard in Hackney Borough. Partially indexed.
- Batches C040801, C040802, C040803, C040804, C040805, C040806, C040807, C040808, C040809, C040811, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (N-Z), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- Batches M040801, M040803, M040806, M040811, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (N-Z), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- "Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- 'The Church of St. Leonard, Shoreditch', Survey of London: volume 8: Shoreditch (1922), pp. 91-125. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=98229 Date accessed: 15 March 2012.
- Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (N-Z), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.