Shiawassee County, Michigan Genealogy
|Shiawassee County, Michigan|
Location of Michigan in the U.S.
|Founded||September 10, 1822|
|Address|| Shiawassee County Courthouse|
208 N Shiawasee St.
Corunna, MI 48817
Phone: (517) 743-2242
Shiawassee County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth, marriage, and death records
from 1867, divorce and court records from 1848.
Probate Judge has probate records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
1840--Shiawassee County was created 10 September 1822 from Oakland, and St. Clair Counties and unorganized territory. It was attached to Genesee and Oakland Counties prior to organization 18 March 1837. County seat: Corunna 
- Putnam Cemetery, Sciota BillionGraves
Civil War service men from Shiawassee County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment)that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Shiawassee County.
- Argus-Press - full-text digital issues in Google News Archive; covers 1911-2008
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Owosso Michigan Family History Center
- Lansing Michigan Family History Center
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Shiawassee County, Michigan page 350, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).