Sherwood Villa, Devon Genealogy
Sherwood Villa, parish, Devon, near Crediton.
Sherwood Villa has changed,see the modern district of Mid Devon.
An additional reference for Sherwood Villa is found under Newton Syres:
NEWTON-ST. CYRES, a village and a parish in Crediton district, Devon. The village stands on the river Creedy, adjacent to the Exeter and North Devon railway, 4½ miles N W of Exeter; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under Exeter. Acres, with Sherwood-Villa.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- findmypast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Bartholomew, John, Gazetteer of the British Isles Vision of Britain Through Time published in 1887.
- Bartholomew, John, A Vision of Britain through Time. GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, Mid Devon District through time | Census tables with data for the District/Unitary Authority, published in 1887.
- Wilson, John M., (John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales) (1870-72) Date accessed: 6 August 2013.