Difference between revisions of "Scott County, Kentucky Genealogy"
(Added History introduction)
(Added Newspaper introduction)
|Line 249:||Line 249:|
==== Newspapers ====
==== Newspapers ====
*[http://www.usnpl.com/kynews.php Kentucky News] - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
*[http://www.usnpl.com/kynews.php Kentucky News] - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
Revision as of 01:51, 3 July 2013
Guide to Scott County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Scott County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||June 22, 1792|
- 1 Scott County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Scott County Kentucky History
- 3 Scott County Kentucky Places/Localities
- 4 Scott County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African American Research
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Obituaries
- 4.15 Probate
- 4.16 Taxation
- 4.17 Vital Records
- 5 Scott County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Scott County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Scott County Kentucky Genealogy References
Scott County Kentucky Courthouse
Scott County Kentucky History
1876--Scott County Courthouse and several businesses burned, 21 Sept 1876. Clerk's office records and many valuable papers of the county saved 
Scott County Kentucky Places/Localities
|Cranetown||Indian Hills||Paynes Depot||Suterville|
|Double Culvert||Minorsville||Sadieville||White Sulphur|
|Dry Run||Muddy Ford||Skinnersburg||Zion Hill|
Scott County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- The KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Scott Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Scott County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Scott County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Scott County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Scott County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Finley] Finley, Carmen J. "John Finley of Montgomery/Wythe County, Virginia: Additional Children Identified," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 39, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1995):3-22; Vol. 39, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1995):94-103; Vol. 39, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1995):202-212; Vol. 39, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1995):282-294. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 39 (1995).
- [Finley] Finley, Carmen J. "The John Finleys of Augusta County, Virginia: Correcting the Record," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 46, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2002):3-13; Vol. 46, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2002):98-113; Vol. 46, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 2002):171-178; Vol. 46, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 2002):268-281. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 46 (2002).
- [Flournoy] Rivers, Flournoy. "The Flournoy Family," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 2, No. 1 (Jul. 1894):81-90; Vol. 2, No. 2 (Oct. 1894):190-213; Vol. 2, No. 3 (Jan. 1895):318-327; Vol. 2, No. 4 (Apr. 1895):437-447; Vol. 3, No. 1 (Jul. 1895):67-79; Vol. 3, No. 4 (Apr. 1896):414-416; Vol. 4, No. 1 (Jul. 1896):97-101. Digitized by JSTOR - free.
- [Henry] Rivers, Flournoy. "The Flournoy Family," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 2, No. 1 (Jul. 1894):81-90; Vol. 2, No. 2 (Oct. 1894):190-213; Vol. 2, No. 3 (Jan. 1895):318-327; Vol. 2, No. 4 (Apr. 1895):437-447; Vol. 3, No. 1 (Jul. 1895):67-79; Vol. 3, No. 4 (Apr. 1896):414-416; Vol. 4, No. 1 (Jul. 1896):97-101. Digitized by JSTOR - free.
- [Hurst] Pappas, Carolyn H. "Christopher Beeler, 1705-1775," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 43, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1999):243-255; Vol. 44, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2000):18-30; Vol. 44, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2000):115-125. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Johnson] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Shipp] Sanders, Walter R. The Shipp Genealogy from Essex, Caroline, Fa[u]quier Counties, Virginia, to Green, Taylor, Woodford, Jefferson, Fayette, Christian, Bourbon, Scott, Owen, Counties, Kentucky, and Johnson Counties, Indiana. Typescript. Microfilmed 1971. FHL Book 929.273 Sh64s; FHL Film 875372 Item 5
Local histories are available for Scott County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Scott County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Scott County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 3rd Battalion, Kentucky Mounted Rifles (Confederate). Company C.
- - 6th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Company A.
- - 9th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Company A.
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Scott County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1792-1930 - Will Books A to V (1792-1930) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Scott County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- 1852-1859 - Scott County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517951 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Scott County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517952 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Scott County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517953 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1859 - Scott County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517951 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Scott County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517954 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Scott County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517955 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Scott County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Scott County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Scott County KYGenWeb
- Scott County USGenWeb Archives
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Scott County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Scott County Kentucky Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Scott County, Kentucky page 275, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com: Georgetown, KY Courthouse Fire, Sept 1876 http://www3.gendisasters.com/kentucky/18777/georgetown-ky-courthouse-fire-sept-1876
- G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/7/75/Igikentuckymz.pdf.